Southminster Bowls Club
Southminster Bowls Club was formed in 1931 and the green was behind the then Rose and Crown Hotel in Southminster High Street, which has since closed and has been turned into flats, the clubs inaugural President was Mr Nix.
There are photo copies of newspaper cuttings from The Advertiser kindly provided by Mrs Valerie Hackney showing matches that were played in 1936 against local clubs like Chelmsford Police, Burnham Hillside, Danbury and Maldon, in a folder at the club.
In 1937 the playing fields were purchased from a Mr Winterbon, this purchase was eventually funded by the Parish Council obtaining a loan from the Ancient order of Foresters, although a private club, the site of the clubhouse and the green is on King George V Memorial Field land and has been rented from the Parish Council since 1948.
There is now competition played for in the Chelmsford and District area of Essex, The Atkinson Shield which originated from the Southminster Bowls Club President of 1968 Mr Ted Atkinson.
In 1981 the club has progressed from four rinks and a wooden Clubhouse to the six rinks and the modern brick building we have today which has changing rooms, a club room and bar area to entertain members and visitors alike, this was funded by members taking up the opportunity to become life members in return for paying 10 years, in cost, membership at that time.
In 1997 the club house had a complete refurbishment, a new bar was built by Mr Robert Burrows, new carpet, chairs and tables which were purchased and the clubhouse completely modernised.
The club was very proud to have its first lady President, Mrs Pauline Keppel, in 2017.
The green and its surrounds are maintained by volunteer club members, as is the bar and the kitchen for big games and other social occasions.
In the season 2022, we have a bowling membership of 45 from beginners to bowlers who have represented Essex at The National Championships.
During the summer months, April to September, the club is open for club friendlies, competitions and roll-ups after 10.30am. In the closed season the club have short mat bowls, Bingo and Sunday Lunches.
The club is affiliated to; Bowls England, Maldon Sports Council, Essex County Bowling Association, Essex County Women’s Bowling Association and the Chelmsford & District Bowling Association.